Boom baby! I went nuts and joined Camp NaNoWriMo a week late of the month-long contest. Despite that fact, I managed to knock out 50,000 words in three weeks. Granted, about 15% of that was edited work from my first draft, but that’s a LOT of sleepless nights.
Point blank, I took a hard look at my first shelved manuscript and pinpointed the ways it needed improvement. Namely, the stakes. A suspense (of any kind, even a romantic suspense like my first MS) needs identifiable, HUGE, jaw-dropping stakes to keep the reader and characters going.
Okay, not necessarily jaw-dropping – but compelling! As compelling as possible while being plausible and consistent.
The month of April later, I took a breather and realized the stakes needed revising AGAIN.
I’m thankful I caught this issue while I was only 2/3 of the way finished but more revisions of my freshly edited MS are a major bummer. I was so looking forward to having nights after my day job devoted only to wine, making dinner, and Game of Thrones once more.
Le sigh. Updates and funny, frustrated GIFs to come!
May the 4th be with you.